[Home Page] [History] [Services] [Business] [Recreation] [Cemeteries] [Administration]

History of Honeyville City

What is now within the Honeyville City limits once was called, Honeyville, Calls Fort & Harper Ward. Most of the Harper Ward area lays outside the Honeyville city limits to the south, but the Calls Fort area is part of Honeyville, Calls Fort first became part of Harper Ward. So we must look at the History of each of these areas to get an ideal of what Honeyville is today

While Abraham Hunsaker was still a resident of near by Brigham City, he secured land for pasture & Grazing purposes in what is now Honeyville. Lewis N. Boothe, in his autobiography, says: "During the early season of 1861, I rented a piece of land from Abraham Hunsaker, intending to raise a small garden." He didn't say exactly where the land was located, but since the oldest residents of Honeyville remember that Lewis N. Boothe & his brother, John Boothe, were the first to use the land in the locality near Cold Springs for agricultural purposes, we conclude that Honeyville had its beginning in the very early 1860's.

The first permanent home was built in 1866 by Joseph Orme of Calls Fort on land purchased from Chester Loveland. Emily Orme Boothe, daughter of Joseph & Emily Green Orme, was the first child born in Honeyville. In the mid-sixties, Abraham Hunsaker moved his families to the Honeyville area. Eliza Collins Hunsaker lived in a log house on Salt Creek. Other members of the family spent the summers here caring for the animals & cultivating dry land grain & other crops. They moved back to Brigham City for the winters.

Frederick J. Graham came to Honeyville from Brigham City in 1887. Abraham Hunsaker was called as Bishop with B. H. Tolman & Lewis N. Boothe as counselors. Later a name for the ward was discussed. Bishop Hunsaker, with several stake officers, called on Joseph Orme (because he was the first permanent settler) to ask his advice in the matter. Orme suggested that it be named in honor of the bishop. After some consideration the name Honeyville was chosen in preference to Hunsakerville, as was first suggested. The area, along with the ward, was also known as Honeyville.

The first school & meeting house was built of rock in 1876. The building was later occupied by Tolman’s Store. John Bowcutt was the first postmaster. He was succeeded in April, 1880 by B. H. Tolman.

On July 8, 1911, Honeyville was granted a Town Charter by the Box Elder County Commission. Israel Hunsaker was selected Town President; Elazrus Hunsaker, Orson Loveland, Abraham Wheatley, & A. R. Burke members of the Town Board, with Abinadis Tolman as Town Clerk. Israel Hunsaker, Enoch Hunsaker, Leo Hunsaker, John G. Wheatley, Thomas Wheatley, John M. Boothe, Parley Hunsaker, B. Albert Bingham, Horace N. Hunsaker, H. Ross Coombs, D. Leon Gardner, Ray Boothe, Bryon E. Hunsaker, Boyd K. Gardner, Steven B. Johnson, & David L. Forsgren have all served as Presidents of the Town Board or Mayors of the City of Honeyville. The Town of Honeyville became a third class city on January 1, 1980.

The Info found here came from Two books,
Box Elder County Historical Photo Tour,
Utah Statehood Centennial Edition,
&
A History of Box Elder County,
by Fredrick M. Huchel.

Some info also added by Jolly Goodfellow.

~ Honeyville ~ Honeyville ~ Honeyville ~ Honeyville ~ Honeyville ~ Honeyville ~ Honeyville ~ Honeyville ~

© 2006 Honeyville City.
Last Updated June 23, 2006.